Sunday, March 5, 2017


This weekend T and I continued working on our laundry room and kitchen.  I am feeling impatient to be done with these projects; but when I think that less than a year ago the cabin had a tiny back porch that barely had enough room for the dryer and my washer was in my kitchen, I am glad for what we have accomplished so far!  

This is what the back porch looked like before we demolished it last spring:

It won't be long before my laundry room is finished, and having the extra room for boots and coats as well as having my washer and dryer together in a real laundry room will be so nice after four years of the former situation!

Here is hubby hard at work on the new mud/laundry room this weekend:

On Saturday I worked on painting the kitchen and then helped T put up the ceiling in the laundry room.  We only have a little bit left before we are finished putting it all up.  The south wall of the room is the original outside wall of the cabin.  I want to keep that wall exposed and either clean it and leave it just as it is or paint it; I haven't decided yet which option I will go with.  

Here is our progress so far -- I just love that Blue Pine!

Today I continued painting the kitchen cupboards and finished cleaning the hardware that I removed from the cupboard doors a few weeks back.  I can't wait to see the cupboards once I have finished painting them and put the original hardware back on.  My goal is to have the walls and cupboards all freshly painted by the end of March.  Then I will just have the floor to do in white and I know it is going to look so awesome when I am done.  

Here is what the kitchen looked like when we moved in.

Here are photos of my painting progress so far:

This is the wood floor we found underneath four layers of linoleum.  I am going to paint it bright white; can't wait to see how it will look when I am all done!

It's hard to be patient, but when it is done I know I am going to love it!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Kitchen Re-do

When we first moved into our little cabin, the goal was basically to make it clean and live-able.  So, for the sake of simplicity we painted everything on the main floor white.  Four years later I am tired of white and want some color in my house!  After spending quite a bit of time on Pinterest, I've decided a sage color with brushed nickel hardware would look at home in the Farmhouse style kitchen.

I've been stripping paint from the original hardware, taking down the cupboard doors, filling holes and sanding for the last few weekends.  Finally this weekend I got started on the painting, and so far I am very please with how it is looking.  I still have quite a bit of work to do but I thought I would share with you what has been done so far.

 I love how this hardware looks against the sage color of the paint!

Just as a refresher, here are some photos of the "journey" my kitchen has gone through since 2013.

I also plan on repainting my livingroom, but I'm still trying to figure out a color.  I was just reading that "mushroom" is the popular color right now.  Maybe I will paint the trim and leave the walls white?? I'm not sure yet.

Stay tuned for continued updates!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Finally Done!

T and I worked through the pouring rain yesterday to finish the siding, and we are FINALLY done!  Our "summer project" turned into a 6 month project.  But I am thrilled with the results!  

Remember what the house looked like at the beginning of the summer?  I can't say enough about how excited I am that we finally have our board and batten siding on the house.  So pretty!

Thursday, September 8, 2016


We have worked all summer to give our cabin a facelift.  I was soooo tired of those ugly, dark brown shingles! 
Here is the Before and After:

To start the process last spring, we hired a contractor to tear off the old back porch. 
Remember this?

Yep - It's Gone!

 Next we had him build a new, bigger, better back porch.  YAY!  Also a deck and a nice landing and steps to our front porch.

When those were finished (on the outside, anyway), we began siding the house with board and batten siding cut from our own trees:

This is how we spent our Labor Day Weekend this year--

Stuffing insulation around the windows.

She's starting to look pretty good!!

We have worked very hard all summer on this and it is EXCITING to see it starting to look so pretty!  There is still more to do before the house is completely sided, but we are getting there.   I'll try to update again before too long!

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Branding Season

Springtime equals Branding Season in our neck of the woods!  T was invited to a branding today, so he was up early to get Brownie ready.

 First to be brushed and get all his gear on.

 Brownie is showing off his fancy Rosettes.

Next, it's time to warm up.

They trotted around for awhile.

 Then worked on some side-passing.

 Then they were off!