Saturday, August 3, 2013

Front Porch, Part 1

This week we got started on our front porch makeover.  T. tore the front steps off and put in temporary steps.  Today, we tore out the posts that were holding up the front of the porch roof.  We were a little shocked (but not too surprised) to find that these posts were rotted completely through only about 6 inches below the surface of the ground!!  






T. dug two 3-1/2' deep post holes, and we set the forms and filled them with concrete.  In a couple of days, we will put up the new posts and get started enclosing our new front porch. 







The posts were attached to the roof using the "toe-nailing" method, and it was difficult to remove them without tearing big holes in the roof.  On the second post, T. used the chainsaw to remove all but a few inches of the post to make the removal process easier.



                                          Hamming it up for the camera.






 I have to mention that we had beautiful weather today for this job; not too hot, no wind -- It was just right!

No comments:

Post a Comment